Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Noah's Birth Story

So I honestly don't remember a whole lot about being at the hospital before he was born.
This isn't going to be one of those long every little detail birth stories most people have, it's going to be partly in paragraph form, partly in list/bullet point form.

Monday, May 23, Jesse comes home from work and we head out to dinner. My doctor told me eat something I really want, since it'll be the last thing I eat for awhile. I thought long and hard all Monday thinking about what I wanted. What do I come up with? Loaded Potato Bites from Arby's. Could I have had something else? Yes. Did I want something else? Nope. I saw an Arby's commercial earlier that day, and when you're pregnant and ready to pop, you have to have any food suggestion that sounds good. Those potato bites were my best and worst friend that night.

We show up to the hospital, check in and they take me to the room. I get situated in the most uncomfortable hospital gown ever. I was not thrilled. I'm not entirely sure why, but I left my tank top on underneath the gown. I was going for comfortable. They hooked me up to the monitoring machines, put that God awful IV in me and I was set.

Since I was being induced they gave me Cervidil, to help move my cervix along. They said it would be about 8 hours before they removed it, and that I would be around 4 or 5 centimeters, when they did.

Dustin and Trinity came to visit, and of course when they got there I had to pee. Those IV's made me pee like nobody's business! I get to the bathroom, and as I'm about to wash my hands and leave I puke. All over the floor. Couldn't hit the toilet. Couldn't hit the bidet. Hit the floor. I heard all talking stop out in my room, and Jesse ask if I'm okay. I started bawling and said I threw up and right after I said it, it happened again. All over the floor. At this point I've cornered myself in the bathroom, crying my eyes out and I'm trapped by a sea of vomit. The nurse came to help, cleaned it enough that I could get out and said it was probably time to remove the Cervidil.

I was worried because it had only been 3 1/2 hours and I didn't want them to send me home. The nurse told me I was super sensitive to the meds in it and it worked surprisingly fast.

The doctor wanted me to wait on the Pitocin for a little bit so I could recover from my unpleasant revisiting of the potato bites. I tried my best to get some sleep,  but that IV had me getting up and going to the bathroom every 40 minutes. Poor Jesse, he had to get up and help me every time. On top of the constant bathroom trips, something was wrong with the monitoring machines, causing them to go nuts and not stop beeping. As soon as the monitoring machines were fixed the IV machine would go off.  If I wasn't in the bathroom, a nurse was in trying to fix the equipment. Not the best sleep I've gotten.

At about 2 the nurse came in and said she was going to start the Pitocin, and I could have an epidural whenever I wanted. I decided to hold off on the epidural as long as I could, I still wanted to be mobile if I wanted to. The all night peeing kept going on and finally at around eight I gave up and decided I was up for the day. My doctor came in before she went over to her office, checked me out, and broke my water. Let the fun begin.

After my water was broken, the contractions came full force with a vengeance. This is where things stop being a paragraph and start being things I remember.

I remember crying in the shower wanting the contractions to stop.

I remember cutting off my soaking wet tank top because we couldn't get it off over the IV.

I remember sitting over the edge of the bed before getting my epidural, throwing up again.

I remember the nurse being forehead to forehead with me, rubbing my head and talking me through the epidural.

I don't remember falling asleep, but I do remember waking up and being alone in my room, terrified because I couldn't find Jesse. (He was eating in the lobby so he didn't have to eat in front of me)

I remember June coming in and falling asleep again.

I remember The Real Housewives of Orange County marathon and The Millionaire Matchmaker marathon I made Jesse and June watch.

I remember tag teaming a crossword puzzle with June.

I remember my mom and sister coming, and Dustin and Trinity, but that's the last thing.

After this all I remember is being told it's time to push. There's easily a 5 hour window where I don't remember anything.

The nurses came in and said I was going to start pushing slowly so I could stretch things out so I didn't tear when it came time to actually push with the doctor.

Ohmigoodness it was horrible. I started pushing but I could barely breathe and it hurt soo much. One of the nurses looked over at me, and asked why I was crying. I told her it hurt and I couldn't help it, and she looked me in the eye and said "Well stop, crying won't help anything." I wanted to go off on her. I was in a significant amount of pain and this bitch (sorry about the language) was telling me to stop crying. Jesse looked like he was going to hit her.

They kept having me slowly push and stop, slowly push and stop. One of the nurses all of a sudden said "Whoa! Whoa! Stop! Stop! We're going to do one more small push and wait for the doctor." Funny story, a baby slid out during that one last small push. No doctor, just nurses. It seemed like hours and hours of pushing but it turned out to be less than ten minutes. Another thing that seemed like it took forever was hearing him cry. It seemed like there was a horrible in the silence while I waited to hear that little wail.

After hearing the cry I longed to hear I don't remember anything but an oxygen mask  being placed on my face. 

After things were less hazy, I remember the doctor coming in, looking surprised and Jesse saying "We had a baby!" She laughed, did all that uncomfortable birthing the placenta and everyone came in the room to see the baby. Jesse held him and helped wash him and dressed him and then I got to hold our little man. I'm sure someone else held him before I did, but everything is still super hazy.

Noah Patrick was born May 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM at 19 1/2 inches and 7 lbs 5 oz.

PICTURE TIME!! All pictures taken by Anna Julian<3




So in love.
He made the face at me, I made it back:)

No comments:

Post a Comment